Who Is At Fault For A Slip And Fall Accident?
If you have suffered an injury due to a fall, you will want to be reimbursed for your medical bills. It may be necessary to file a legal action against the company or business to recover your losses. However, before doing so, it’s important to know who may be liable for the slip and fall injury, you or your accuser. Being well-informed if you are in this situation can help you decide if you should pursue your case or not.
When the Property Owner is Liable
There are many instances when the slip and fall accident is the fault of the person who owned the property.
Listed below are circumstances when this is possible:
1. The property owner was aware of the potentially dangerous area and avoided fixing the problem.
2. The slippery surface or torn flooring was due to something the owner did.
3. There wasn’t a warning sign put in place by the owner that could have prevented your slip and fall accident, such as wet flooring.
When the Injured is Liable
Before pursuing a legal action, it is critical to making sure you are not at fault for the fall. Be sure to answer the questions listed below:
1. Were you allowed to be on the property the day of your injury?
2. Why were you visiting this location originally?
3. Were you intoxicated or on any medications that could have impaired your judgment?
4. Were there warning signs up, and you simply ignored these and proceeded onto the property?
5. Could you have avoided this area and walked around it?
It’s important for you to prove you were not at fault for your accident before taking a legal action against the property owner.
Providing Evidence to Prove your Case
There is a variety of proof you can bring to the legal table to prove you aren’t liable for the injury, and these are listed below:
1. Photographs of the property showing the dangerous area which contributed to your fall.
2. Witnesses who will testify on your behalf that were with you the day of the accident.
3. A letter, email or text from the property owner granting you permission to be on the property.
Finally, recovering from a serious slip and fall accident can take time and money. Be sure to rely on the expertise of a personal injury firm in the Chicago area, such as the Law Office Of Daniel E Goodman, that can examine your case and provide you with the legal advice you need.